Saturday, December 8, 2007

oh, the drama...

Last night I got home from work and took a shower. When I got out, I happened to look down at my feet and noticed that they were swollen...I have bony feet with long toes, so swelling is pretty noticeable, in fact, my toes looked like fat cocktail-sized hot dogs, which really cracked me up. I came very close to taking a picture of them and posting it (and I will if it happens again!). Anyhow so my feet were kind of puffy but didn't hurt or anything, so I made dinner and then sat down to help Craig with his math homework for awhile....then I noticed my feet started to feel uncomfortable, kind of numb and tingly. Figured it's because I'm hauling around an extra 30+ pounds now and that's going to happen. When I stood up, my left foot HURT....looked down and it was HUGE. I called my mom, who told me to put my feet up for awhile to see if that helped, and if not to call the doctor. It didn't help, I called the doctor, they had me come in to the birth center to have my blood pressure taken. (Meanwhile I had looked up the swelling online, apparently rapidly swelling feet and ankles, especially when one swells significantly more than the other, can be a symptom of preeclampsia, so I knew that it was probably a good idea to actually listen to the doctor.)

So at about 11:15pm last night we head over the the birth center....I had to get undressed and put on one of those bizarre gowns and lay in a bed for a good hour or so while they took my blood pressure numerous times and hooked me up to a machine so they could monitor the baby's heart. I was pretty much scared to death...not because I was worried about something being wrong at that particular moment, but because that was like an introduction to the real thing, which will be happening in approximately five weeks. Anyhow, things checked out just fine--Ava is strong and healthy and my blood pressure continues to be great--so the doctor didn't even put me on any restrictions, since I have two appointments next week anyhow. (Thank goodness, I was fearing a bed rest order...I was just told to try keeping my feet up, especially if there was any more swelling.) We got home after 1am, I stuck an extra pillow at the end of the bed to keep my feet elevated while I slept, and they're not perfect but looking much better today. That's good, because I still have to put up a few strings of Christmas lights, get and decorate a tree, run to the store, and tonight is the work Christmas party, which I am NOT missing. It's my one excuse a year to dress up and enjoy the fact that I have a job at a school where they do things like throw nice Christmas parties for us. (Craig on the other hand is trying to put me on bed rest today so that he can avoid the party....sorry, not going to happen! ;o)

That's about it. There are annoying little issues to contend with in these final few weeks, but for the most part, nothing serious to worry about. Except that whole "giving birth" thing. Ugghhh.

No comments: