Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The Mixing Bowl (A.K.A....the Freezer Bunker)

I went to the Mixing Bowl today and have added six more meals to the collection already in the freezer: beef stew, pork loin with cranberry stuffing, mini pizzas, mexican lasagna, herb stuffing crusted chicken breasts, and balsamic plum glazed pork chops. It wasn't as fun going by myself, but I wanted the meals so it was fine...plus, there's something relaxing about just being silent and putting the meals together. Ahhh yes...the freezer bunker is fully stocked! (I know, I'm so weird. It's not as though once the baby is born, all the grocery stores will disappear or Craig and I will be physically incapable of buying or making food, it just makes me feel better to be ridiculously prepared. I'm like this when I travel, too...making sure I have everything I could possibly need. Riiight....as though forgetting my toothbrush on a trip up to my parents' house would be a real disaster, they *do* sell those things in Chicago! ;o)

I also went back to work to serve the last hour of my workday, but of course, they were getting ready to clean the floor in my room so I could not put it back in order. I swear, this happens every single time I go in...I really have a way of being inconvenient I guess! I did work for an hour but I'm going to go back in a few more days so I can put the desks back where they belong so my sub doesn't have to do it if I go early.

That is pretty much all that's going on here...slept horrible last night, but it was just because I was irritated by work-related things and not cramps, so that's both good and bad. Craig comes home tomorrow and I can't wait to see him again! I can't believe I've been without him for nearly a week, and over a vacation too...it's gone by remarkably fast, and I've been able to stay fairly busy the whole time. Ava's moving around has gone from cute and amusing to downright painful...poor kid is so squished. Not much longer! I've decided that when I go into labor, I'm going to try to stick with I.V. drugs for awhile and avoid the epidural for as long as possible. It has nothing to do with being noble and tough and wanting to go as natural as possible, and it has everything to do with wanting to retain my mobility and avoid tubes up the urethra and needles in the spine for as long as possible. ;o) Maybe I'll last five minutes, maybe five hours, who knows? It's worth a shot...the anesthesiologist is there 24/7 so the option is there whenever I want to take it.

6 comments:

Emily Glover said...

Goodness girl! You're about to pop and you're planning to go in and move desks around your room? Let the new teacher do that. :] (I know... control issues... I have them, too!)

Melissa, Craig, Ava, and CJ said...

Oh, they're not stacked, just pushed to the side, so they'll be very easy to move. And yes, you are right...control issues! ;) Plus I just want the sub to be able to transition as easily as possible into my classroom.

Anonymous said...

Dude, go with the drugs as soon as possible. I'm fearing the "I want them now" "Oh, it's too late!"

I'm not trying to scare you, I know little about these things, but I support drug use for labor. Drugs. Drugs. Drugs are nice. =)

- Anna

Melissa, Craig, Ava, and CJ said...

I am all about the drugs ...it's just that the epidural itself scares me almost as much as the pain of labor...according to the doctor, I can decide to have it practically until the baby is about to come out so that's good! What I'm going to do is ask them to tell me when it's my last chance (if I've not gotten it yet) so that I'll know. The I.V. drugs sound pretty good too! ;)

Anonymous said...

Just so you know...
If you get IV drugs they usually have to turn them off while you push, which means you will not be numb when the baby crowns. They call that part the "ring of fire" for a reason.
I've done it both ways -- with & without the epidural. Either way you'll be fine. The pain is temporary, and not as bad as you are probably imagining right now, since all you can do is obsess about everything and WAIT.
Good luck :)

Melissa, Craig, Ava, and CJ said...

EEEEEK!! Thanks for the heads up, I will DEFINITELY be asking to doctor about that one this week! If I'm given the all-or-nothing choice, then epidural it is... ;o)