Okay, so how exactly am I going to know I'm in real labor? This is bothering me big-time. I have had a lot of cramping lately. I've been told that labor is like really bad period cramps, but what exactly is "really bad?" I've had some pretty awful ones since the age of 13 so I'm worried that my idea of "really bad" is not the same as it would be for other people and I won't know right away. So, if you've had a baby--how did you finally know it was the real thing as opposed to just cramping? For about the past two days I've been in almost constant (but usually very mild) pain, some moments worse than others, but nothing seems to be happening and there hasn't been any pattern to the "worse" moments. Hopefully when I go to the doctor today they can tell me something, but the last time I asked the doctor how I'd know I was in labor, he just said that "I'll know" the difference. Thanks, but...HOW???? What exactly is the pain like? Will I definitely have spotting? What's the story?
Any input would be much appreciated! Leave an anonymous comment if you want, I don't care, anything! I'm dying for some firsthand info. here! :o)
Thursday, January 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
It will be more intense. That's all I can say - YOU'LL KNOW.
Melissa,
I've been reading your blog for a few weeks now--found you on Emily's! :) Anyways, even after my water broke, the contractions weren't bad. In fact, I had no pain whatsover when my water did break or before. No other spotting, nothing. I showed up at the hospital 1/2 cm dialated. So you're already way ahead of the game! (I got an epidurel at 3 cm right before they cranked up the pitocin.) Had my water NOT have broken, I would've KNOWN at that point it was time to go the hospital. The early contractions aren't bad. I was able to joke around, make phone calls, etc. After a couple of hours, the situation wasn't funny anymore and my husband's attempts at humor were highly irritating. The pain was such that walking through a contraction was close to impossible and they were not stopping--and I was probably only 1 1/2-2 cm! Again, had I not been at the hospital, I would've known that I needed to go! So here's some tell-tale signs of true, active labor based on my experience:
(1) pain gets more INTENSE
(2) pain makes it so that you're not amused, can only focus on the pain, and do not want to move
(3) OR you feel a small or large gush of slick liquid--mine wasn't a huge gush (my sister's was) but it did soak through my jeans and wasn't as water-like as I was expecting.
Hang in there!
See you tomorrow but hopefully not :),
Mary
Hi Melissa - First of all I really thought you'd have Ava on New Year's Eve - it would have been so YOU! As for knowing when you are in labor, you WILL know - very intense pressure. And that's all I had - I can honestly say terrific pressure is how I descrbe both my labors - would rather give birth than go to the dentist - honestly -except for maybe the college tuition in 18 years. Love your blog and can't wait to see pics of Ava. You will be fine - you are in my prayers always. Remember, if labor and delivery was so bad, NO ONE would have more than one child! Love - Kathi
Thank you guys for the information, that is a LOT better than anything I've found on any pregnancy sites. :) Hopefully it won't be too much longer...on the upside, the discomfort and frustration of the past couple of weeks has made me a LOT less worried about the delivery!
It will get more intense and have a more regular pattern.
You will likely have some spotting or lose your "plug" (YUCK -- HATE that term)
You will probably not be able to talk through the contractions, but then feel fine...until they start again.
Intensity, pressure, regularity. The pain/cramps will be more intense, more regular, and there will be a sensation of pressure down below.
Also, I found Braxton-Hicks contractions to feel like really bad period cramps, not labor. Being in labor felt like the pain was all around my belly & in my back. For me, it felt different than period cramps. But also -- my first & second labors felt different, so it's just really hard to describe & feels different to everyone.
I know it's annoying when people say, "you'll know"...but you will. Listen to your body, it will tell you what to do.
Really excited for you!!!!!
Jen
Post a Comment