Tuesday, January 15, 2008

the things I've learned

All right, before I write anything I'll give you some pictures. :o) There are more to follow in the next day or two, but I have to empty my camera, and I have to wait for the grandparents to email some to me as well...in addition to my mom and dad, Craig's parents were here over the weekend so there are a LOT of pictures from that visit. Six adults spoiling one baby...she has such a hard life... ;o)

BubbleShare: Share photos - Play some Online Games.


Now, here's what I've learned in my first week as a parent:

1.) Breastfeeding, which seemed like such an alien concept before, is not creepy at all. Luckily, Ava started out like a champ with the latching/sucking business and we only had to supplement with formula for about a day or two before the milk started, and we've been doing great ever since. When it's time for her to nurse, she scrunches up her face, opens her mouth up wide, and dive bombs my chest with her face, which is highly amusing to watch (no footage of that will be available, however...TOO MUCH INFO).

2.) Childbirth IS as bad as some people say it is. I'm sure it isn't always, or for everyone, but my experience was rather unpleasant. For the first few days after Ava's birth, I got nauseated every time I thought about it again. Ugghhhh.

3.) Finding time to sleep is less difficult than finding the ability to sleep. Last night was the best so far...I put her down and for once, wasn't too darn worried to get some sleep between feedings. I DID launch myself from the bed as if shot from a cannon at one point when I heard her make a funny sound, but that's it.

4.) Dignity really doesn't come into play in the delivery room, even for someone like me who was devastated by the thought of losing it. Craig witnessed the birth of his daughter with awe, not disgust. And I really didn't have time to think about how gross I probably looked while trying to shove the kid from the inside to the outside. I'm now laughing at myself for bringing a hair dryer with me to the hospital...I DID put on a little bit of makeup and clean myself up the next day but the hair dryer was overkill.

So, I'm going to admit that people were right and I was wrong about quite a bit...the person you are outside of the delivery room...totally not the same person inside the delivery room. And that's okay. :o)

3 comments:

andophiroxia said...

The first picture cracked me up! Here you are all in pain and in labor and Craig there is all happy and grinning. (Of course it's a happy moment, but the contrast was great XD.)

Congrats and yes, you did spawn a huge kid.

Emily Glover said...

Those pictures are great! Is that a menu in that one picture? It looks like you were about to order some food. If so, that's awesome, and that will totally be me.

Welcome, Ava!!

Anonymous said...

Just remember, Daddy's change once they've been in the delivery room too.....somehow people seem to forget that...