Monday, January 21, 2008

this is not my child...

Last night, I fed Ava around 7:30, we bathed her and put her to bed in her crib. Sometime between 8:30 and 11:30 last night, someone took my sweet little girl and replaced her with Rosemary's Baby. I AM NOT KIDDING. She woke around 11:30 to eat, I changed her (she had a mess in her diaper and then, before I could get a new one on her, she made a mess all over me and the towel she was laying on. This should have been my first clue...) and put her to bed in her cradle. She fussed, kept spitting out her pacifier, and then started full-on screaming. I tried putting her on her belly and patting her in case she was gassy...nothing. Gave her a "snack" (Craig's words) around 1am and this helped for about ten seconds. At nearly 2am I finally took her downstairs and alternated between patting, swaddling, shushing, laying her on her Boppy cushion, giving her a pacifier and cuddling her; and she alternated between shrieking and whimpering. At around 3:45am she finally calmed down enough for me to put her back in the cradle. Well, apparently she decided at 4:15 that it was time to eat so I fed her (again) and she only ate for about ten minutes before passing out. I put her down, thankfully she decided she'd sleep, and then after her 8:15 feeding I handed her off to Mom and slept for about three hours. My mom thinks that Ava has decided that the early half of the night (approx. 12-4am) is her "awake" time...I think we will be modifying that over the next few weeks, because that's just not going to fly.

Two doctor appointments tomorrow...I'll update about those after they've happened.

2 comments:

andophiroxia said...

I know what you mean. I got that from my cat today, but it wasn't screaming or crying, but the mess part was it. She started going nuts and scooting about as well. I had to grab her real quick and sort of wait until she kind of calmed down. Then I looked in the box for issues. Nothing. Grrrr.

Anonymous said...

Yeaaaaaah...welcome to parenthood, kids. And it only gets better and better and better and better and better and better...

Should I warn you about teething and nursing? Keep ice on hand. Or how about when she discovers running and that buckets can be used as hats that don't fit very well and fall over the eyes? Keep ice on hand.

You know what scares me the most, Melissa? Ava has and Uncle Bill.

GASP!