Saturday, January 26, 2008

sleeping (even) less

Over the last few days, Ava has become more and more fussy...we're seeing less of the "good" baby we brought home from the hospital but I think that just means she's normal: the more she can look around and start interacting, the less time she wants to spend zonked out in her crib. Last night she slept on her cushion while Mom and I watched a movie, but then it took hours for Craig and I to get her to sleep...she went down around 1am finally and then got up at 2am to eat (her feeding times are all whacked out, she's probably going through some kind of growth spurt because it seems like she goes from content to starving in an instant)...she went right back down again and then woke up shreiking from a sound sleep at 4am. It just kills me when she does that because it sounds like she's terrified and it makes me wonder if she's having some kind of nightmare. (What does an infant dream about?) I didn't want to just shove food down her throat two hours after her last feeding so I brought her back to bed, propped myself up, and layed her on my chest. She fell right asleep and we slept like that (she slept, I dozed) for two more hours before she ate again. What a wonderful feeling--it doesn't matter how sleep-deprived you are, it just doesn't get better than having your baby curled up and sleeping peacefully on you like that. :o) Pardon my sappiness, I'm allowed a little from time to time!

In other--non-sappy--news, Ava is going through a little bit of a "rough patch" appearance-wise this week...she gained a lot of weight but no length so she's looking a little distorted right now. It happens to all babies at one point or another, they can't be adorable the whole time. (Yes, I'm really saying this. In my family we are rather honest regarding the appearance of our babies. For instance, I'm well aware that at about four weeks old, I was pretty rough looking myself. Hence the lack of four week photos of me in the photo album. If this offends you, please just stop reading. I've gotten some snarky anonymous comments regarding things I've said in this blog and honestly, if you don't like what I say, you should probably just spend your time online elsewhere....why would you take the time to read this stuff and reply if you don't like it? ANYHOW...all other people are welcome to be here. :o) Okay back to the point: yesterday, we decided to put Ava in a green long-sleeved onesie that says "Daddy's Little Girl" on it. My mom bathed her and put her in the onesie with a little pair of striped leggings (I posted pictures of those items quite some time ago, I bought them right after I found out we were having a girl.) Anyways so my mom put her down for a nap and I asked her how Ava looked in her outfit. My mom said--I quote--"She looks like Shrek, bless her little heart!" HA HA HA HA HA! I was DYING....there are many reasons to love my mom and that right there was just icing on the cake.

That's about it, I'll have pictures again one of these days, but today is not that day. I'm off to squeeze in a shower before Shrek--I mean, Ava--wakes up. ;o)

4 comments:

andophiroxia said...

Shrek. HAHAHAHHAHA!

But wouldn't she look more like Shrek's baby?

Anonymous said...

Oh, that poor kid. Welcome to the family, Ava.

MMS said...

She is SOOOO normal! Noah got the fussies around week 2-3. The good thing to know is that the fussiness/wakefulness peaks at 6 weeks. I read about that after the fact and wished I had known that before. That timeframe is all about survival--you sleep when you can and get the baby to sleep however and whenever you can. I had some people say that holding Noah when he slept would make him spoiled--BALONEY! Just do whatever works for your little Shrek! :)

Anonymous said...

You have got to thank your mom for me for giving me a really good belly laugh...(that's a big laugh ! ! !)

My middle daughters hard time was her birthday....she was breach and had been for some time....when she was born her legs were stuck in the up position....the doctor had to hold her by the back and lower her legs in order to get her length....as soon as he released they went WHAP, right back up beside her ears....her birth pictures on the announcements have her in the L shape...we waited a couple days to do that....