Thursday, April 24, 2008

bikers, ye be warned

My commute to and from work every day is along a nine mile stretch of a twisty, hilly, two-lane back road. For some reason, local cyclists have decided it's a perfect place to ride their bikes. I respect their right to use the road, however, it is NOT the best road to ride a bike on, reason being that there is no paved shoulder, so they are on the actual road. This can be highly irritating because the road is so twisty, it is almost impossible to pass them so I get stuck going 20 mph to work. Annoyance aside, it's EXTREMELY dangerous for the people on the bikes--people around here drive like idiots and I'm surprised that there aren't bikers lying squished on the side of the road next to all of the poor dead deer. Case in point: a couple of weeks ago, we (Craig, Mom, Ava, and me) encountered an accident on that road in which a biker had been hit by a car. We stopped to make sure everything was okay (Mom is a nurse) and there was actually a fireman on the scene taking care of things, so we left. On the way home we passed a few more cyclists and all I could think of was that part in Pirates of the Caribbean where Captain Jack Sparrow passes a bunch of dead pirates hanging from nooses and a sign that reads, "PIRATES YE BE WARNED." Obviously the bikers were not scared off by their injured buddy and his banged-up bike, because I've seen them several times since. The other day I got stuck behind some guy on a moped going 30 mph while on my way to work--I did not pass him because there were cars coming in the other lane. So what happens? The idiot behind me decides he cannot wait five seconds until the cars pass and he GOES COMPLETELY INTO THE OTHER LANE to pass both me AND the moped guy. I am telling you, he missed oncoming traffic by mere feet. Had I been the guy in the other lane who he almost hit, I've turned around and followed him and either called the police or ripped him a new one. But that's just me. Anyhow I was considerate and only passed moped guy when there was plenty of room to do so...I was rewarded for my efforts by GETTING STUCK BEHIND THE SAME MOPED GUY ON THE WAY HOME FROM WORK. What. The. HECK. Oh well, whatever...

In other (baby) news...we've had a good week! For some reason I cried again when I dropped Ava off yesterday but she's done very well at day care and been extremely sweet when she's home with me in the afternoon and evening: I give her a bottle when we get home, she naps, we play, she bathes, eats again, and it's bedtime. The evening fussies are at a minimum and she's back to going to sleep like a good girl, which is better for all of us! I miss her a lot while I work but it really is a good thing: I DO appreciate my time with her even more, and the schedule (and activity) of day care I think is responsible for her being more mellow at home. This weekend will be good too--Saturday morning I'm cashing in on my Christmas present from Craig: a 60-min deep tissue massage at the spa! Woohoo! (I'm also getting my eyebrows waxed because they are looking really mangy) Craig's parents arrive around noon for a visit so that will be good! Ava has changed so much since their last trip back in February so I can't wait for them to see her.

That's it, haven't had time for many pictures this week but I'll post a few one of these days!

No comments: