Sunday, April 27, 2008

Ava's firsts

There have been a lot of "firsts" around here lately...Ava's first tooth started poking through her bottom gums last week, Ava had a great first week of day care, and more recently, her first cold. I started getting sick last weekend (probably from being back at work around all of those germy kids!) and managed to fight it off with Zicam (and prayers!) before it really set in. As expected, Ava started to feel a bit under the weather a few days ago: Thursday, she went down for bed around 8:15 as usual but woke up crying at 11:15--she had thrown up a little bit in her bed and was really gassy. She threw up three more times and wouldn't take a bottle when I tried to feed her but eventually (1am?) passed out. I'm pretty sure the throwing up was because she was very mucus-y...that's happened to me before. Ugh. Anyhow, we kept her in our room in the cradle and she did fine the rest of the night, woke up happy and then went to day care where she proceeded to sleep for four more hours. Slept a lot that day and then yesterday the dry, hacking cough started. I gave her baby Tylenol--there's nothing you can safely give a baby for a cold--and cranked up the humidifier but she couldn't sleep, she'd cough herself awake and then just cry. I ended up bringing her into bed with me and cuddling with her until she fell asleep and then put her in the cradle for the rest of the night. This would've been fine except for the fact that in the hour or two before she really wakes up, she's very active and noisy in her sleep....so I'm a little exhausted today!

Anyhow, Craig's parents are visiting so that's been nice, in spite of Ava's cold she's basically been the same happy, "talkative" baby. Right now she's dozing on the Baby Einstein mat and coughing from time to time....hopefully tonight will be a little better. I'll update and have pictures sometime in the next week or so.

1 comment:

JOD said...

You could try letting her sleep in her swing...sleeping more upright helps with drainage when they have a cold. I think the swing is comforting too. If all else fails here we try the swing. :)