Sunday, July 24, 2011

I'm a Barbie Girl...

As promised, I'm taking a break from the usual babbling about my offspring to deliver a snarky commentary on some Barbie dolls I spotted on a recent trip to Target. I don't necessarily buy into the whole idea of Barbie dolls being responsible for young girls having low self-esteem, setting a standard for beauty they can never reach, yadda yadda (although some of the dolls are in serious need of adequate clothing). But some of the more "modern" Barbie products kind of scare me:

 Yes, the packaging says to "Swap heads!" Ummm....creepy much?! And what are they wearing?! It's like the Headless Hooker series or something...


Oh Ken, what has happened to you? Hand in your man card....NOW. You seriously should've stuck with the painted on hair, and DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THE SHIRT. No. Just...NO.


This is Teacher Barbie. If I wore something like that to work when I was teaching, I'd have gotten fired, or arrested.  And those glasses...yeah. If they were going for the "smart and sexy" look with those glasses, they failed.


This is Kid Doctor Barbie. You know, in the real world we call those people pediatricians. It may be a big word, but I'm pretty sure kids could handle it...my 3-year-old has been using a lot of big words--and using them correctly--lately because we don't dumb down our conversations with her.


Given the topic of today's post, it's only right that I leave you with this gem from back in the day:


No comments: