Tuesday, May 6, 2008

My other life

Naturally, the vast majority of my posts are centered around Ava: she's definitely the biggest piece of news from day to day--but I do have other things going on, believe it or not! ;o) But first, somebody said something to me (I believe in the comment section of this blog) about being a working mom and how it actually makes her a better mother. That has turned out to be so true for me...I am much more patient with Ava and I thoroughly enjoy and appreciate every moment I have with her! Taking care of her isn't a chore, which is how it sometimes felt while I was at home with her 24/7. Anyhow, I just thought I'd mention that--thanks, Mary! ;o) (I don't mean anything negative towards stay-at-home moms, like they don't appreciate their kids or something, I'm just saying how it is for me.)


So, those other things going on: teaching middle school. Never a dull moment. The most amusing things that have happened this week?

1.) A student wore a musical Christmas tie to school. Accidentally set it off in class. He then informed me that he has a hunting tie that makes a gunshot noise and a dying deer noise. Another student told him he should get a Confederate flag tie (okay, she said "rebel" flag, but I'm a Yankee, people...we say "Confederate" ;o) that made a "YEEEEEEHAAAAWWWW" noise. I'm sure they probably exist, and I'm scared. I want a tie that tells people off.

2.) I need a haircut very badly, as my hair is starting to resemble a shrub. Yesterday I used a giant curling iron on it in an attempt to keep it smooth and tame (as opposed to just letting the natural curls take over). One of my students told me that my hair looked "very well-contained." HA HA HA!

3.) I have an ongoing issue with a parent. As this is a public blog, I will say no more because I don't want to give away the identity. Email me if you want to know. However, the issue has gone from being upsetting to highly entertaining as I'm pretty sure this parent is completely mental and/or on crack.

4.) Emily finds notes on her classroom floor that say things about hookers. I 'm finding notes on my classroom floor that say things like "poop." Either these kids are sheltered or they are really big kindergarteners.

5.) My first period students have informed me that next year, I will be teaching a girl who thinks she's a hamster. Ohhhhhh boy. Maybe I shouldn't show her this...


That's about it for now. I slept like a baby last night--meaning, I woke up every few hours. For no reason. Ava, on the other hand, slept like a lumberjack. Ahhhh well.

3 comments:

Emily Glover said...

Ahahaha! Poop.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh! I love psycho parent stories! Lay it on me, Cuz!

I love the comment about your hair being "very well-contained". HAHAHAHHAHA Out of the mouths of babes, eh?

Melissa, Craig, Ava, and CJ said...

Niece of Rainman--I'll email you... ;)

(Christie--it's the same person you are thinking of--I don't want to post your comment because I don't even want to post the gender of the aforementioned parent...no details. But that person sucks.)