Sunday, May 25, 2008

the dreaded swimsuit shopping trip

Okay, so the purpose of shopping today wasn't entirely for a new swimsuit (it was actually so I could get Craig a father's day gift), but that kind of happened anyhow. MJ and I went to Loft so I could check out their really awesome summer clothing, and she could check out their ever-growing maternity section (no pun intended...and where the heck was this when I was pregnant?!) Anyhow, I saw a really cute swimsuit in there last time I went shopping: a navy blue tankini with little white polka-dots. I tried it on again, and besides the fact that it was about $65, it really didn't fit that well. Not the swimsuit's fault....I just happen to have a mushy post-baby stomach. Which, honestly, is fine...I don't care. I had a baby four months ago for heaven's sake, nobody should really expect me to have Abs of Steel at this point. Eventually I will break down and do some exercises to tighten things up but between working full-time and baby wrangling, I haven't really had the desire to spend my precious few free moments each day doing crunches.

So, it was really time for me to admit that, okay, I no longer have a teenager's body so cute little bikinis might not be an option anymore. Nothing is scarier than an adult woman, especially someone's mom, who tries to dress like she's in middle school. (I do have one really cute bikini I bought two years ago--also at Loft--that's actually pretty flattering and is made for women, not teenagers, but I'll still probably save that for when I just want to lay out in the backyard or whatever.) ANYHOW...to get to the point...I did something I can't remember doing since childhood: I tried on a one-piece. Very pretty, extremely flattering....and it doesn't look "old." Actually, it almost reminds me of those suits they used to wear back in the 1940s, and I really like that. Here is a picture of the suit, but the model is all slouchy; it looks much better in person. Oh yeah...and it was less than half the price of the other suit! ;o)

Photobucket

Anyways....I'm very much enjoying the fact that tomorrow there is no school....woohoo!!! We have no plans...probably just sticking around the house and relaxing. And that makes me happy.

4 comments:

JOD said...

Cute!! I love Ann Taylor Loft. Do they have maternity at your actual store? Good thing they didn't have maternity when I was pregnant or I'd be broke!

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. I can't drop those last seventy pounds after Michael's birth. Perhaps by the time he's eighteen in December, we can go swimsuit shopping together.

Melissa, Craig, Ava, and CJ said...

Oh, it's the leftover skin...and there's no losing the skin. I could have it cut off and make a nice pair of boots out of it. Or maybe I could make a swimsuit out of it...that would be interesting... ;o)

Melissa, Craig, Ava, and CJ said...

They DO have maternity at our Loft but only recently...thank goodness! ;)