Tuesday, February 19, 2008

American Idol reject

If you know me, chances are you know I have an utterly terrible singing voice...it is BAD. When I was in 7th grade, I was singing in the shower because I didn't think anyone was home and my mom banged on the door and asked if everything was okay in there. I only sing along with music if it's loud enough that I can't hear myself...so chances are, even though it's recommended by random people and book authors, I probably will not be singing much to Ava. Yes, I'm too embarrassed to even sing to an infant. I talk to her frequently so she can hear the sound of my voice but that's about it...aside from the whole terrible voice thing, I'm at a loss as to WHAT I'm supposed to sing to her. I did try a couple of Tom Petty tunes but I butchered them... and for the life of me, I can't remember the real words to any actual lullabies: for example, there's that lullaby "Sleep, Baby Sleep"...I know it's not right but I keep thinking the lyrics are "Sleep, baby, sleep/your father chases sheep"...not that I'd sing it if I did know, because it kind of annoys me. I could sing her praise and worship songs, but after what I did to the Tom Petty songs I would feel guilty butchering church music. *sigh*

Anyhow, on another note (no pun intended), Sunday afternoon to Monday evening were awesome with Ava being back on schedule, last night she was back to being weird. Three hours the first session, and then while I was burping her at that feeding she threw up what had to have been at least an entire breast of milk all over my bare shoulder and arm, the back of my shirt, the futon cover, a throw pillow, and the Boppy. She did go four hours in the following session but I had to do laundry so there went some sleep time (no way in heck was I leaving all of that stuff barfy until the morning....gross). Next session she tried to do three hours again and I said ABSOLUTELY NOT and brought her into bed with me, where we both slept for two more hours. (I know that the baby-in-the-bed thing can be a no-no but the way we were positioned--me on my side with my arm out and her laying on top of it--made it impossible for me to move around and accidentally hurt her. Put a 12 lb. weight on your arm and see how well you move! ;o) I have gotten some really good advice from people regarding getting her on a schedule, so I'm going to start nudging her in that direction...I've somewhat let her create her own schedule because she's doing a pretty good job of making one that fits into ours, but I'd like to have the timing down just a little bit better. She's only six weeks, so it's not like I have to be the Schedule Nazi yet.

So, I know these posts are probably a little bit boring because what people really want are the pictures.... ;o) I will post the four/five week pics this weekend, they're currently on Craig's laptop so I won't have access until Friday.

No comments: