Thursday, November 13, 2008

Ava Unplugged

So last night, the kid woke up around 11:30 doing the coughing-fussing thing. Inevitably it turned into crying so at midnight I gave her a bottle (I would not have been so quick do this but she hadn't finished her dinner bottle, so I figured she was thirsty). Afterwards, she went RIGHT down to sleep but there was still intermittent coughing, occasionally followed by a whiny, fussy noise. This is normal for when she's sick and usually that stops when she goes into a deeper sleep but I was DYING....after two hours of sleep the night before and only being asleep about 1 1/2 hours before she woke up, I was at the sleep deprivation breaking point. So, I took a big step and I opened up both of our bedroom doors and unplugged the baby monitor. That way if she cried for real I'd still hear her, but I wouldn't be getting coughs/fusses amplified directly into my bedroom. It took me about a half hour to fall asleep (even though I was dead tired) because I've NEVER gone without the monitor, but then I slept until the alarm woke me! And obviously Ava is fine--so from now on, unless I am worried about her for some reason, the doors will be open and the monitor off once we are all in bed. She's almost a year old, anyhow...not like she's a newborn. We'd been talking about doing this recently but just hadn't taken the step, so I had to do it out of necessity and it worked just fine! It was probably harder than anything just to have my bedroom door open--I have a thing about doors, I always have to have them shut. I can't teach in my classroom with the door open. I can't sleep (well, I guess I can now) with the door open. That includes bathroom doors and closet doors. When Craig is out of town, I close off all of the rooms that we're not using--he's gone right now so the only door that's open upstairs is my bedroom door. I know, I'm a freak, and now I'm definitely going to have to get over it if I want to keep off that stupid monitor. :)

2 comments:

Emily Glover said...

How funny. I have the door-closed-when-teaching, too! For me, though, it's probably more about keeping annoying administrators away from my room. :-) I think the monitor plan is a good one.

Melissa, Craig, Ava, and CJ said...

It's so funny--I walk down the hall at work and half of the people are teaching with their doors open and I don't know how they do it! I'm not worried about administrators, I just feel exposed with the door open.

As for the monitor thing, it's working out GREAT! A couple of times when she's actually cried (as opposed to just crying out randomly in her sleep) I've heard her right away. Now, we just have the monitor with us downstairs until we go to bed, or during naps (the times when her door is shut). At least when we have another kid I'll know ahead of time that we can turn the stupid thing off once he/she sleeps through the night. ;)