Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Meltdown Post

I did a great job of getting to bed at a decent hour last night! I was in bed by 9:15, and looking forward to a solid night of sleep, which I especially needed to help fight off a cold. Ava had a meltdown at 10:00...I figured she just had a bad dream or something, however, this was followed by NO LESS THAN FIVE MORE MELTDOWNS. Here's a list:

10:00---first one, I assume it's a nightmare and rock her back to sleep. Cries when I put her in the crib, stops when I rub her tummy for a few min.

10:30--next meltdown...I give her a bottle and then notice she's somehow peed all over her sleeper, there must've been a gap in the diaper somewhere. Change her clothes and put her back to bed. Cries when I put her down, settles down with a few minutes of rubbing her back.

11:00--I bring her to bed with me after this meltdown. She flips all over the place, scratches at the pillows (I think she liked the texture), and kicks me; and starts having a coughing fit. We go downstairs and cuddle on the couch for about a half hour while she coughs, I give her Tylenol in case all of the coughing is hurting her lungs. Bonus: the Tylenol seemed to help coat her throat and ease the cough as well. I rock her to sleep but she again cries when I put her down, rubbing her back helps.

12:00--I let her cry, she eventually stops.

12:30--Starts babbling to herself, then sobbing her head off. I go into the room and she has thrown Duckie over the side of the crib, and has pooped. Retrieve Duckie, change diaper, put her back down. Cries, gets back-rubbing for a minute or two, calms down.

1:00--Cries. I leave her alone and this is the last meltdown until she starts fussing at 5:00

At this point I could've worked in about four hours of sleep, but no, I am sick to my stomach for the next hour. (This sometimes happens from the drainage when I'm fighting a cold....FUN!) So when all is said and done, I end up with roughly 2 1/2 hours of sleep. I considered staying home today but Ava did not have a fever this morning and nobody was throwing up, and those are now my only two conditions for staying home, since I can't afford to use up all of my sick days. I've already used more in less than one semester than I usually use for the entire year!!! Ugh. Please cross your fingers/hope/pray that things go smoothly tonight, or I will completely snap....

No comments: