Monday, June 2, 2008

The Sick House

So, this has NOT been a good weekend to be a member of this family. On Friday I came home thinking that maybe we could go out to dinner...Ava is very mellow if we go early enough, and I could use an evening of not cooking or cleaning. If not dinner, then at least I'd get to hand over baby duty to Craig for a little while since he'd been gone the night before. When we got home, Craig was in bed sick, with a high fever and feeling pretty miserable. So...no dinner and no break for me. Oh well. During the night his fever went up in spite of taking Tylenol so the next day we went to urgent care and they think he might have mono....GREAT. So he got some antibiotics and went right back to bed....meanwhile, I made a pot of homemade chicken soup for him, and also threw together some food for the block party that evening. Ava and I went to the block party so that we could get out for a bit and so that he could have some peace and quiet. Got home and he was feeling a lot better so that's good.

Unfortunately, when I got home I also discovered our A/C was broken...of course! It would have to happen on the first disgustingly hot and humid day of the year. And in case you aren't from NC, there is no relief at night, it's just as hot and disgusting at night as during the day. So we all went to bed pretty uncomfortable. I woke up around 2am pretty nauseated and figured it was from the heat...threw up, and figured it was from the heat...then started to throw up uncontrollably (and worse) and started to think you know, maybe it isn't the heat doing it...of course then Ava wakes up and Craig has to give her a bottle since I'm a little indisposed, thankfully she goes right back to sleep and I continue to hurl my guts out the rest of the night. Probably a bad case of food poisoning so I am never eating at a block party again...bleh!!!!! Yesterday morning I stopped throwing up but other bad side effects continued and I also ended up with a fever, aches, and chills. Craig was feeling somewhat better so he had to take over baby duty, since I could hardly even hold her. Poor baby, she got only the bare minimum of our attention yesterday...at one point we HAD to sleep so she layed in the bed with us and we all napped (I was too uncomfortable to nap so I just layed there and felt miserable).

Anyhow this whole time I was hoping that Ava wouldn't get sick, that I indeed had food poisoning and not stomach flu, so I just about fell apart when she started to throw up last night. It must've been a fluke or something because she threw up twice and then was fine, thank goodness!! Today Craig took her to day care so that we could have the day to recuperate without worrying about baby duty....so I'm trying to eat a little something (haven't had a meal since Saturday, haven't had a REAL meal since Thursday) but so far it's crackers and Gatorade. Bleh...luckily the fever and aches went away. He's at his regular doctor getting checked out and I'm trying to feel better. Wish us luck...being sick is miserable, being sick and taking care of a baby is next to impossible.

1 comment:

JOD said...

Oh no! That sucks! Hope you are all on the mend soon.