When things go wrong...they seem to go very, very wrong. Yesterday I decided it was time to start Ava on some formula, since there's no way I'll have time to pump enough when I go back to work to keep her entirely on breast milk. I combined one ounce of formula with three ounces of milk, and figured that would be good enough to start....she took 2.5 ounces of the mixture, which is about how much milk she would take at one time when we first started giving her bottles and she wasn't too sure about them (she'll take four ounces of milk from a bottle now). So that was at 6pm and everything was fine until 8pm when I got in the shower: Craig came into the bathroom to say that Ava spit up on her clothes and he was changing her. Okay. Five minutes later he comes in to tell me that she has full-on thrown up twice, so hard that she turned red....luckily he made it to the sink with her and that's where she threw up. Before I got out of the shower she threw up again, all over herself. After I got out, she did it again and this time it was a yellow color (stomach acid?)...that happened one more time and then she was done. I am so grateful Craig was home...I do not know what I would have done had I been by myself...probably freaked out really bad. I assume it was the formula since I gave her just milk when she was hungry again after the barfing episode, but what the heck? Why wouldn't she have thrown up immediately after eating if it didn't agree with her? And I don't understand the reaction, I expected a bad diaper and maybe some fussiness, not crazy throwing up. ANYHOW after she was done and rested a little while and was ready to eat again, I sat down to nurse her and the power went out. Just like that. No storms here or nothing....just out. Luckily we had the fireplace on but oh. my. goodness. It stayed out about an hour before going on-off-on-off-on-off and finally staying on again. Thankfully there were no throwing up episodes in the dark!
So, that's about it...guess I should call the doctor today to see what we should do about the formula situation. Ava also boycotted all naps yesterday (wouldn't even fall asleep in my arms on the couch, which I use as a last resort and has ALWAYS worked!) so hopefully today is better.
Tuesday, March 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Nicholas did that too. Puked EVERYWHERE with Enfamil. Similac seemed to fine.
Hope you both get some rest today.
That's the stuff! Enfamil in the yellow container. I have a few cannisters of Similac so I'll try that in a few days after I've given her tummy a rest. I'll call the doctor today too and see what he recommends. She's napping right now (yay!) so I'm going to eat something while I can! :)
Post a Comment