It can be categorized under "random crap that annoys me." I know, that's a very big category. What is it this time? Television commercials and their blatant sexism. Oh, it goes both ways, I'm not just going all angry feminist or anything...for example, there's the recent Hair Club for Men commercial. Basically what that commercial boils down to is that if you are a man, you have to have a thick pelt of hair on your head or women won't come within ten miles of you. Yes, that's right, we are all a bunch of superficial hosebags who only care about appearances, and more specifically, hair. We couldn't *possibly* like a man for being funny, intelligent, or kind. And if you have pretty man-hair, we'll fawn all over you and cling to your arm when you are in a swimming pool. UGH!!! Then, there are the commercials that portray the women as all-knowing and perfect, and their husbands as a bunch of bumbling idiots. It's all about what MOMS know in commercials. Uhhhh....my husband knows how to cook and change diapers and could probably figure out how to wipe up a stain from the carpet or apply ointment to a cut (Yes, Neosporin commercial, I'M TALKING TO YOU!), and I'm pretty sure he's not the only man on the planet capable of such things. It's always the cute little stay-at-home moms with their khaki pants (or SKIRTS...!) and sweater sets and nice shoes. Let me tell you, after staying at home for nearly three months, I can say that no woman who spends her day caring for small children would be caught dead in those clothes unless there was some reason to look nice (lunch date, going to the doctor's office, etc. etc.)...it's all about comfy pants and shirts that can withstand spit-up. Don't get me wrong, you can still look cute, but wearing dressy clothing is just not happening when you are at home around small children all day...this isn't 1955, we women are capable of wearing clothes that make sense for the job we are doing: skirts and heels are for the office, comfy pants are for taking care of the kids. Duh.
Here's one commercial that I *do* like, simply because it is bizarre and amuses me and is completely devoid of sexist stereotypes:
Wednesday, March 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
I find your rantings quite amusing! The scariest commercial is the one with the baby talking about the stock market or investments...It's seriously creepy!
Kathie :)
Oh that one where he's talking and spits up...ewww....yeah, it's pretty bad. I get so mad at commercials...it's totally irrational. ;)
My favorite commercials are the "Smilin' Bob" commercials for whatever that wiener medication is.
...and I actually prefer balding men. I don't know why. We know I'm not normal, though.
I LOVE the talking stain commercial! My favorite part is the end when it gets really obnoxious. Good stuff!
Mary
P.S. I also love the baby stories and pictures!
I LOVE Smilin' Bob! That's the Enzyte commercial (I so should NOT know that...)! And he's got the very happy, smiling wife...ha ha! I just found this one:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lTa98ixcy9Q&feature=related
Christmas Enzyte! Ewwwww!
Post a Comment