The shower was very nice...it started at 2:30pm, was held at my parents' house, and about 24 people showed up. Everyone who came is a family friend I've known for years, plus a couple of my own family members and friends. Since it took place mid-afternoon, we had appetizers and light lunch food (apple salsa, spinach dip, little hot ham and cheese sandwiches, potato salad, jello salad, chips, cake, punch, etc.) and everyone just ate and talked for awhile. (No cheesy shower games, woohoo! Although my mom did send a sheet around where people could guess when Ava would really be born and what she'd weigh--Kathie guesses 9 lbs. so if it really happens I'm holding her responsible for cursing me ;o)--that was about it.) After we'd all stuffed ourselves I opened presents, always a little weird to me. I don't like a whole room full of people looking at me...but oh well. We got so many nice things for the baby, both from the registry and things people picked out themselves! There's not going to be too much to worry about buying after that. Anyhow, I really did have a good time and loved seeing everyone...one of those times when I really miss not living where I grew up. (Oh and I have to add...by Thursday I had finished every single one of my thank-you notes...including the ones to people who couldn't actually make it to the shower but sent a gift...that was something like 30 notes! They all went in the mail today. I just don't like taking forever to do those things, and I want to let people know that I really appreciate their presence at the shower, and the gifts they picked out for the baby.)

Mom and me before the shower

Anna and me before the shower

Me, Anna, Kathie! High school flashback, anyone? I need to find a picture of the three of us from about twelve years ago so I can post it, just for fun. It's funny how we always look so sweet and innocent.... ;o)

Aunt Suzy, Grandma, Me, Mom....three generations of women on my mom's side (unless you count the one in utero, then it's four)

The soon-to-be Great-Grandparents

My dad got me a bunch of Bears stuff for the baby....yay! Oh, and it just so happens that on the day of my shower, the Bears beat the Eagles in the LAST FIFTEEN SECONDS OF THE GAME. I was going CRAZY!!! It's a sign...the baby is definitely going to be a Bears fan.

Exhausted and surrounded by presents
I also realize I haven't posted belly pics in awhile (about 3.5 weeks) so here are a couple of new ones. I love the shirt I'm wearing...I think I'm going to go get another one in a different color. So comfortable and cute! I feel gigantic, I can't believe there are still eleven weeks left for her (and me!) to grow...it just doesn't seem possible!

Cute belly pic

SCARY belly pic!
In other news, we never did find the person who stole my money. A few of my co-workers took the 7th graders aside and talked to them on Monday, ripping the thief a new one and trying to guilt-trip whoever did it into turning him- or herself in, or at least into returning the money anonymously. No such luck. However, I don't really care anymore...I have realized that even though one of them is obviously a despicable person even at this young age, the rest of them are good kids and will turn out just fine: apparently a few of them felt so bad that someone would do that to me that they went around and got a bunch of their classmates to chip in a dollar or two and on Friday, they gave me an envelope with $27 in it to make up for what was stolen. Oh my goodness, I have never actually cried in front of a student before but I just lost it in front of my entire homeroom! And they felt bad because they weren't able to raise the entire $50 to make up for what was taken! I didn't want to actually take the money since the gesture alone was just so touching, but they insisted and I didn't want to make them feel bad by tracking down the givers and handing them their money back. I'm really lucky to be working with kids like that and I learned that even though they can frustrate me sometimes, I should be more patient with them because their hearts are in the right place and they'll be just fine as adults, even if they don't hand in all of their homework on time right now. ;o)

A picture of Jack and Toby, just because they looked so cute sitting in the window! (Edit: they looked really cute in person. I realize now that in the actual picture, Jack is looking a little demonic.)




2 comments:
You look absolutely radiant in your pregnancy bit. Seriously! You look really great!
Can hardly wait until Ava is born!
Wow.....those are some great kids...with one exception...
Must be the great influence of their teacher..
Post a Comment