Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The Bunker

I like to be prepared. I don't like running out of things. So, over the last few years, I've gotten into the habit of buying extra things (soap, shampoo, toothpaste, deodorant, contact solution, etc.) and storing them under the sink in the guest bathroom--Craig makes fun of me for this, and calls the storage space my "bunker." Well, last month I expressed a desire to start buying and storing packages of diapers, which nearly drove him nuts. Hey, I think it's a good idea, and other people I know who have babies say the same thing...start buying them now so that it's not such a shock to your wallet when the kid arrives! But, because Craig melted down about it, I've restrained myself and not bought diapers.

Today, however, that has changed...I didn't buy any, but they had a baby shower potluck for me at work and easily a third of the gifts for the baby were diapers and wipes--how cool is that?! That's like having someone just hand you cash, since it's one of the biggest baby-related expenses. I thought that was a really good idea....plus now, I am able to start the baby supply bunker! Of course I still feel a little weird doing the whole shower thing (not liking the center of attention and all) but work showers are always low-key so that's nice, people bring food and gifts and then everyone just eats as fast as they can during our short lunch break. :o) (Oh, and of course the non-diaper-and-wipe gifts were very nice too! I just thought that was kind of different, and cool.)

Speaking of work....some good and bad. Well the bad isn't technically bad, it's just something freaking me out: there are five women pregnant at work...one is due on Sunday, I'm early January, then there's late January, March, and May. When I realized that the one is due in LESS THAN A WEEK and then I'm up to bat, it really spazzed me out. AHHHHHHH!!!! I don't know why that would set me off, but it did! Luckily a conversation with another co-worker (who had a baby last February) has helped...she tells me giving birth (with drugs of course) wasn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be. I really, really needed to hear that from someone! If you don't agree with her, I forbid you from telling me that! ;o) Let me be delusional. Please.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are there pictures from the shower? And who is due on Sunday? My wedding day? Who is stealing my glory??!!!

Melissa, Craig, Ava, and CJ said...

HA HA! Erin (downstairs teacher) is due on Sunday...maybe I'll tell her to hold the baby in an extra day for you... ;o)

No pictures, sorry! It really was low-key...we were all so busy eating I didn't even open gifts until halfway through sixth period!

andophiroxia said...

Well women tended to get pregnant at one of my jobs in threes.

I haven't gotten pregnant yet. But I wonder who will be my companion after this?

Melissa, Craig, Ava, and CJ said...

I really think it's in fives at my school because it's happened before like this!

Anonymous said...

Yes, what is it about FA that makes everyone get pregnant at the same time?

By the way, we got your gift card today and I was so excited. I seriously can not think of a better gift than a gift card b/c we can pick out whatever we want! So thank you! And you will get a more official thank you than a comment on your blog, but just wanted to say thanks. :]

Anonymous said...

I agree with your co-worker...it's really not as bad as some women make it out to be. The great news is it only hurts for a relatively short time and the pain is totally worth it in the end. Plus thanks to mother nature or some miracle you actually do forget the pain. I guess that's why so many women have more than 1 child. (I've had 2 babies -- one with drugs & 1 without)
I enjoy reading your blog & wish you the best!