Well, I sort-of failed the stupid glucose test...meaning, I didn't eat for something like 14-15 hours, went to the doctor, chugged a bottle of nasty sugary stuff, and then got poked with a needle three times: twice the numbers were fine, and the third time was a little high. Soooo....I can't eat or drink and then you force pure sugar down my throat and my blood sugar looks a little high...oh, YA THINK?! I know, I have no understanding of the medical world so it probably makes perfect sense, but to me it doesn't seem very rational. Ah well. Anyhow, one failing score apparently means I don't have gestational diabetes but they want to put me on the most horrifying diet I have ever seen, just for the fun of it. I thought it would just be cutting out sugary things like soda and cookies, but NOOOOOO....they don't want me to have fruit juice or fruit or even honey. So, let me get this straight: I can't have wine. I can't have caffeine. And now you want to take away not only chocolate but FRUIT JUICE from me? Even though I do not actually have diabetes? Yeah, homie don't play that! The diet basically consists of very plain meat, whole-grain, and veggies. No sugar, little fruit, and few "convenience foods." In other words, they want me to starve to death in the next ten weeks. Well, I have made an executive decision to tell this diet to bite me....I am going to cut out Starbucks, soda, ice cream, and unnecessary dessert (meaning: if I go to a birthday party, I'm going to have a friggin' cupcake, I'm just not going to sit at home and randomly eat three cupcakes after work for no reason). I will water down my fruit juice, but until I have proof that a full-on diet is medically necessary, the rest is not happening. I'm healthy and haven't even gained much weight (18 lbs), CJ is measuring right on target in the 50th percentile (diabetes babies are big), and there is no way for me to follow a diet that suggests things like "17 grapes" or "1 oz. of tunafish" as snacks. I didn't even last 24 hours trying to be really good, because I became so hungry I almost ate my own arm in that time.
Anyhow...in other baby news, no more visits to Duke Perinatal for us--the spot that was showing up on CJ's stomach is gone, and all is well! We finally got a cool ultrasound tech who flipped on the 4-D images for us, and we got to see his little face all squished up in there...couldn't make out much detail but it was cool anyhow. We don't think he looks like Ava, but at this point can't really tell who he looks like...I'm voting for me (just because it would be cool to have a kid look like me), but with Craig's personality. We'll see!
Friday, March 4, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment