Ava's Ears
I'm going to try to keep this brief because I would really, really like to get some sleep tonight! This past week has been ridiculous with the ear infections: on Jan. 24th we made our second "emergency" trip to the doctor on a Saturday. (I say emergency because there aren't regular office hours on weekends but they run the office somewhat like an urgent care and if you call ahead and have a pressing need--like a raging ear infection--you can get in.) The doctor prescribed an antibiotic called Suprax, supposedly the strongest oral antibiotic you can take (well, at least for babies, not sure about adults) and then he referred us to the ENT even though it was only infection #5 and they wanted us to wait for #6. I think it was a combination of pity (his kid had lots of ear infections) and realizing that at the rate at which Ava was getting infections there was no sense in waiting. Long story short the Suprax did nothing so on Friday--after another rough night that included a screaming baby and a sick mommy (I ate an Arby's salad for dinner because I was home alone and didn't feel like cooking and it did not agree with me apparently) we took her back to the doctor, who told us to continue the Suprax (not sure why) and prescribed an ear drop as well. Saturday night was another horrible night, any time we layed Ava down she would thrash and scream and arch her back and kick her legs...so we got her in again Sunday morning and they went to the last resort: antibiotic injections. It's a series of three so we had our second set today (it was actually two shots, one in each leg, because the dose is so big) and they're going to see if they can get the ENT to fast-track our appointment, originally set for Tuesday, Feb. 10th. These shots are MISERABLE. They're very painful so they mix Lidocaine in with the antibiotic to make it hurt less, but Ava apparently remembered yesterday's shot because when I took her in today she screamed as soon as we layed her down. Poor baby! It does seem to be helping a lot though, so that's good. Last night she only fussed twice, when she managed to somehow contort herself into a rather uncomfortable sleeping position and couldn't figure out how to untangle while half asleep. :o)
Since I feel like I mostly post negative things, I have to say that in spite of the ear infections and subsequent fussiness, she can be so much fun! I love doing ridiculous things to make her laugh. For instance, yesterday I jsut went up to her and said, "meemeemeemeemeemeemee!" She thought this was hilarious wouldn't stop laughing. She also cracks up every time I say, "Porkchop sandwiches!" (It's from a parody of G.I. Joe that's on YouTube--yes, I love nonsensical internet humor--so if you don't get it, just don't ask.... ;o) She also says "Uh-oh!" all the time, and usually in the correct context, like when she drops Duckie or throws a sippy cup at mommy's head. (In her defense, I was on the floor picking up food she'd dropped so my head may not have been the intended target.) She's walking like a pro (okay, more like a drunk) and can toddle all over the place, carrying things. On Saturday, she was carrying around a big, empty plastic bucket that, when full, holds 38 lbs. of kitty litter. It's almost as big as her!
That is about it. Craig's parents are coming this weekend for a visit so it will be great to see them, they were sick a few weeks ago and unable to come to Ava's birthday party and we really missed them! I don't have a whole bunch of pictures to post but I'll put up two: the first one was taken by Christina (Ava's baby-sitter) and I swiped it from her blog because it's too cute! The second one was when she was playing in the kitchen (you can see the litter bucket in the picture) and the happy expression on her face is her sweet personality poking through in spite of all the pain she's been in lately. :o)
No comments:
Post a Comment