Sunday, December 7, 2008

Ava at 11 Months

I really can't believe that in only one month we will be celebrating Ava's first birthday--it has gone by so quickly! She weighs 23 1/2 lbs and is wearing 18 month clothing and size 4 diapers. She sleeps about 11+ hours a night and (usually) takes a good nap in the morning and then again in the afternoon. She is doing a lot more self-feeding and especially likes to feed herself bananas, peaches, bread, green beans (loves them), and various Gerber snacks. She'll drink her afternoon juice from a sippy cup and I'm working on getting her to drink her formula from it as well but that hasn't taken yet. She gets into EVERYTHING (and then eats it!), claps her hands (especially when you put her on your lap and say, "Ava, play patty cake!"), points, waves, and says the following sounds:

Ma-ma
Da-da
Na-na
La-la
Ba-ba

(Ma-ma and Da-da are just sounds at this point, I don't think she really associates us with them). She also sticks out her tongue and blows raspberries.

What am I not thrilled with these days? Apparently, Ava has decided that 11 months is a good time to start....TANTRUMS! Why put off until two years old what you can do now? She flips out if you take something away from her or fish something non-edible out of her mouth and at first would just cry....then the crying got angrier....this morning I witness her full-on THROW HERSELF BACKWARD ONTO THE GROUND and shriek when I wouldn't let her grab at the laptop. Oh my. Since she's about to be one year of age, I fully expect that some people may start pestering me about when I'm having baby #2. And it's going to be very difficult to NOT punch them in the head.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wait until you get closer to two!!! We get asked that all the time!

I highly recommend _The Happiest Toddler on the Block_ for tantrums. We can avert 90% of tantrums from the advice in this book. I don't agree with some of the philosophical elements in it, but the practical steps are ah-mazing . . . at our house, anyways . . .