Tuesday, September 23, 2008

HEEEELLLLLPPPP!!!!!

ANYBODY! PLEASE! HELP! My sweet baby who goes to bed without fussing? Yep--she's apparently been abducted by aliens and replaced with an evil look-alike. We've never had to let her cry it out before but that may be starting now....my question is, how do you do that? How long to you let her cry (she's 8 1/2 months old)? At what point do you need to go in there? I understand leaving her if it's just some fussiness but what about full-on sobbing? And what if she's sick? Do normally good babies suddenly freak out and not sleep when they're sick? Should I comfort her if she's sick or still let her cry? Because honestly, I thought she'd pass out.

I'm completely lost. I'm alone this week. And if I don't get more than three hours of sleep tonight (like last night) I am going to DIE.

2 comments:

MMS said...

Yes, normally good babies freak out when they are sick. I know Noah is getting sick when he starts having sleep problems. It could be her nose is stuffy, and lying down aggravates it. Also, have you had her ears checked? Noah had so many infections, and the ENT told me that the pressure on their ears is way worse lying down and thus causes sleep issues.

My general rule with sickness is if Noah is crying inconsolably with me holding him, my presence is not doing any good. He actually calms down much faster if I put him in his crib and let him cry himself to sleep. It IS gut wrenching, but sometimes you just KNOW that you have to do it because they need sleep. If he wakes up in the night with sickness, we console him. If it continues to drag on and on with no actual consoling happening, we just resort to putting him back down to sleep on his own.

We did the official cry-it-out with Noah at 9 months old. I knew he wasn't sick or hungry, so it was much more manageable because I wasn't second guessing myself so much . . .

Hang in there!!!!

JOD said...

Any chance she has an ear infection??? William used to scream at bedtime when his ears hurt.