Monday, September 3, 2012

One Quarter In

Well, my first quarter back at school has come and nearly gone...only two weeks until track-out! It's been INSANE. I mean, really and truly crazy. I think I have cried more this quarter than I did my first year of teaching, and that's saying a lot. I'm going to try to explain without rambling, so maybe a bulleted list is in order:

  • I still do not like the new curriculum. Though I appreciate certain aspects of it (group work, exploratory lessons), it has required me to do a TON of supplementing because it doesn't offer much in the way of solid lessons, warm-ups, tests, quizzes, or homework assignments. So that's kind of a lot...I'd rather have a curriculum that offered all of those things that I could supplement with some group work and exploratory lessons, but it's not up to me, so I adapt as best I can. 
  • There is ALWAYS something going on: staff meeting, parent meeting, paperwork, whatever...such is the nature of teaching, I guess. But when I am trying to manage a busy life outside of work as well, it isn't easy.
  • Craig has been traveling A LOT again. He says it's just a bad couple of months due to some changes/shuffling around at his company, but regardless of the reason, it leaves me to handle everything on my own those days. Pair that with the fact that he also puts in a lot of time on his MBA classes and I'm flying solo more often than not. I'm so tired of it. He's been traveling our entire relationship and it just has never gotten easier...throw in two kids and I'm lucky if I have time to blink.
  • One of my students took her own life a few weeks ago. We don't fully understand why and there were no warning signs whatsoever. It was horrible, and I haven't really dealt with it. Between trying to make sure that the students who are grieving have been taken care of and putting on my game face around them, I have shoved my own grief down so deep, it may never resurface, and frankly I'm okay with that. Is that healthy? Probably not. But I'll just go ahead and cope however I see fit, thankyouverymuch.
  • There's not a lot of sleeping going on around here...when the kids are sleeping well (which thankfully, they do most of the time), I either can't sleep or have to stay up late doing work. 
  • As a result of being thrown back into the germ pit after a year off and not really taking care of myself very well, I've been sick off and on for a good month or so now. It sucks. 
I think that about covers it. In spite of everything, I really am happy to be working...I feel like myself again. The added financial security (although when you consider the amount of taxes we pay on our combined income is nearly equal to my annual salary, it's both depressing and infuriating) and the feeling of self-sufficiency/usefulness has done wonders for me. Ava and I get along better now that she's out of the house during the day (not that you'd know by this past weekend...she's been a demon), and CJ is doing a great job with the neighbor and LOVES being over there. Craig has always been happier having a working wife, even though now he has to help with the cleaning, and there's not a whole lot of cooking going on.

ANYHOW...as far as the kids go, there isn't too much to report. Ava just started a tap/ballet class and loves it, CJ is running all over the place and babbles like a maniac but staunchly refuses to say any actual words. I would worry, except: 1.) Boys tend to talk later, 2,) second children tend to talk later, and 3.) he makes eye contact and does attempt to convey meaning with his babble. It'll happen when he's ready. He's also been somewhat cranky lately due to cutting FOUR TEETH at once...poor kid! :-\


No comments: