Monday, April 6, 2009

Nobody's a Stranger

Something that's both good and bad about Ava is her ability to warm up to perfect strangers. In February when she got her tubes put in, we handed her off to the doctors and she let them carry her back to surgery without even a fuss. Sometimes she'll hide her face initially when meeting someone new; but now, more often than not she waves and says "hi" or "bye" (the two are interchangeable in Ava-land) to everyone we see. A few days ago we met up with a friend at Starbucks, and sat out front. Ava waved goodbye whenever a car pulled away, and waved hello to anyone who passed by. I have to say, it was pretty charming. Until we got up to leave and she ran up to some random man and tried to climb onto his lap. Oh, and did I mention she whacked him in the crotch in the process? I almost DIED....not to mention, it's a little scary that strangers don't worry her. Maybe a lot of little kids are like that, I don't know. I'm pretty sure I remember my little brother Billy talking to anyone and everyone. I'll just have to be very careful to talk to her about it constantly until she understands that sadly, you should not trust strangers. On the cute side of it...today we were at the doctor's office so I could get a routine physical (my first since college...and I am happy to announce I didn't flinch or get the slightest bit dizzy when they drew blood!). In the waiting room there was a very old man....he seriously had to be about 90 years old. Ava waved to him so he waved back and said hello, and then she ran right over and gave him a hug. It was SO SWEET. The man looked so happy and started telling me about his little great-grandson, who is just a little older than Ava. I know....I have to teach her about strangers and I will, and I watch over her like a crazed momma lion, but it really was adorable. :)

No comments: